Scientists Xiaolin Wu and Xi Zhang of the Shanghai Jiao Tong University in China, developed a system that can identify criminals through facial recognition. They did that by adding artificial intelligence and neural network technologies to the hypothesis which was put forward in 19th century.
The AI which is equipped with several artificial recognition algorithms, examined photographs of guilty and innocent people.
In order to test the neural network, scientists used 1856 ID photos of shaved men aged between 15 and 56. Half of these photos belonged to men with criminal records. 90% of these photos were used to train the AI and the remaining 10% was used to test it.
The results were simply amazing; it was seen that the neural network detected criminals with a 89,5% accuracy rate.